If you must wonder why my prospectus is taking so long to write, I will give you an example of what happened today when I turned on a movie for my oldest and sat down at the computer to write. First, the oldest had to get dressed up like Backpack Jack (a narrator character on my son's dinosaur movie): shoes, socks, hoodie sweatshirt, and his dad's puffy red vest. (Of course he needed help with this.) Then the puffy vest and the hoodie came off, and he had to put on swimming goggles. First blue, then clear. (Yep, help with these too, especially when they "fell off.") Then he brought me some fossils (toy cars) in his sifter (his dad's tennis racket). Then he needed to watch the horse movie. Then he brought me the car jacks that were in the coat closet, which I had already known he had ransacked in order to find the puffy vest, the goggles, and the tennis rackets. At this point I went out and found this:

In case you can't tell, half of the coats and closet stuff are missing.

Oh, there they all are. (Three coats, two vests, a baby backpack, the church bag, the diaper bag, two jacks . . .

. . . the swimming bag, with everything removed, the tennis bag, with all tennis rackets removed, the racketball racket and it's cover (removed) . . .

. . . and, finally, the tennis rackets.
And here's Mr. Creative who went on a dinosaur hunt and swimming in the ocean, all while I tried to work on my prospectus. And the final result on the prospectus? Here is the paragraph I was working on.
While at least three dissertations and ten articles have addressed anti-Mormon literature in one way or another, the majority of these studies focus on the thematic elements of the novels (mysteries, Danites, the West). Megan Sanbourn Jones’s 2004 dissertation, “Rapists, Murderers, and Turks: Anti-Mormon Melodrama and American Identity, 1845-1900”, and Terryl Givens’ article “Caricature as Containment: Orientalism, Bondage, and the Construction of Mormon Ethnicity in Nineteenth-Century American Popular Fiction” are the only recent works that will impact my research. Earlier studies on anti-Mormon novels have described the mesmerism existent in the novels but have not made any connections between mesmerism and the belief that Mormons were anti-national.
No comments:
Post a Comment