Saturday, May 23, 2009

Graduation


On May 11, my dear sweet husband was finally rewarded for all his hard efforts in school by walking across the stage to receive a diploma. I wish that it could have been a bigger deal: blimps, fireworks, a national moment of silence, world-wide acclaim; but they only gave him a huge piece of paper and a business card holder.

I acutally teared up a little when the procession entered the hall, but then I went back to managing the two boys (one of whom was running a fever and wanted to be held and the younger one refused to have Grandma or Grandpa hold him) on my single lap, taking pictures, and cheering loudly.
(post-Tylenol)

Some highlights from the day were (1) having his wonderful advisor tell me over the splendid reception lunch that the dean of the graduate school told my husband as she handed him his diploma that she had read his entire dissertation and enjoyed it (she was in public health, so the advisor had been working hard to get the dean to read the dissertation to show her the kind of work put out in the humanities), (2) having my very good friend find chewable children's asprin in her purse, (3) seeing my husband beaming, (4) introducing my in-laws to the whole gang,
(5) accidentally giving the youngest sweet tea punch at the department reception (in our Church we don't drink tea or coffee or alcohol; the choices at the department were champagne or sweet tea punch--which was called "punch"; the youngest loved it), (6) going out to dinner with my in-laws to the Flying Biscuit, which I have always wanted to try and will recommend for anyone but a sick three-year-old, (7) cheering our friend who also graduated.
To top it all off, I found out that the Graduate School is going to highlight his research on their webpage as a feature story. I'm not sure when it will be up, but here is the link to the Grad School's webpage, if you are interested.

No comments: