Though I don't profess to try and make this blog full of the wonderful things in our lives, and though I don't intend to make our lives sound pretty ideal, I realize that the things I want to share are the great wonderful things that are happening. Which makes me wonder why I'm blogging about this. Maybe I'm hoping for some catharsis. Maybe I'm talking to some adult out there while my husband is off with the youth in Nauvoo. Maybe I'm trying to prove that my life is not perfect. Maybe I'm not quite done crying yet.
Here is the day. The morning started fine, so I won't say anything about that. But after the youngest was awaken from his early nap by his older brother while I was on the phone with the insurance agent trying to figure out why the quotes were so different from the two companies (grr!), I decided to call in the troops: we took an errand to Hollywood video and rented Cars. I then put the movie on and tried to keep working on the insurance mess.
When I thought I had figured some of it out and was only waiting for a phone call back, I thought I would start packing the everyday dishes. I packed one box with no problems and had just finished packing the second when I rushed to wash the youngest's hands and realized that my engagement ring was no longer on my finger.
When was the last time I remember seeing it? The video store.
How many times had I washed newsprint from my hands since then? Three or four?
Which sink? I have no clue.
So I took the u-tube out of both sinks and pulled the stopper out (thanks, Dadda, for explaining to a slightly hysterical daughter how to get the stopper unstopped!). One sink went fairly quickly--until the boys realized what I was doing and started "helping." The stopper on the other was a little stuck and I couldn't find the right wrench to help loosen it. I got frustrated and more frustrated, especially as the youngest insisted on helping me. Finally it came off and there was no ring.
So I unpacked the last box--a box full of newsprint, shredded paper, and plates. I didn't see anything.
I'd already prayed myself and pulled the oldest in to pray with me (and he voluntarily said the sweetest prayer). The oldest also started helping me look. He checked the fridge and his toy box. He decided that tomorrow we can get me a new red ring.
Then my husband called about the insurance and I started crying again as I told him that I had lost the ring and I felt really badly about it.
I still feel badly. I feel badly that my highly emotional state ended up making the evening pretty miserable for me and the boys. I feel badly that I can't find this beautiful, uninsured ring. I feel badly that I yelled at the boys when I'm working hard on being patient.
All in all, it was not the best of days.
UPDATE 7/12
Ring found in the bottom of one of the boxes. It was hiding between the two fold-over pieces of cardboard and the tape (three layers in all). Let's just say that it is in a safe place until all this moving is over.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh no!! Still no ring? I can't believe how devastated you must feel. I'm sorry you had such a bad day. I hope you miraculously find your ring!
I lost my engagement ring too. I had to take it off when I was pregnant with my oldest when my fingers swelled. Anyway, it was lost for 2 years! Braden told me several times we could get another one. I didn't want another one- I wanted MY ring. Lo and behold, one day as I was purging old junk out of our linen closet it fell out of a box. I have no idea how it got there!
I hope you find your ring.
Sorry your day was rotten.
I am glad you found it! Good luck with your move. I can't wait to hear how it goes.
Post a Comment