Sunday, November 15, 2009

My hero

For those of you who have heard me complain about the things we want to fix in our house, you will remember me mentioning the satellite pole that stuck out of the ground in the back/side yard. Last Saturday, my dear strong husband and I decided to start digging it out. Of course, since we decided at about 2:30, he could only do so much before darkness fell and work ceased. He had dug it to the concrete/composite that was holding the pole in--a depth of at least 2 feet.


He continued working yesterday, widening the hole and borrowing a sledge hammer from a neighbor so that he could knock the composite/concrete into smithereens.
After much effort, he mentioned that it might be easier and less time consuming to saw the pipe as low as he could, but, irrational as it might be, I didn't like that idea. What if I wanted to plant a tree there in the future? A few minutes later, our neighbor suggested the same thing. But my dear, sweet, strong, tired husband kept digging. I spelled him for lunch and a short break later, though I was far from being as effective as he was--then again, I am 35 weeks pregnant, so I didn't do much.

Finally, when it seemed all hope was lost and my husband was going to sacrifice golfing for the pole, we remembered that we had horseshoe poles in the car the might work to loosen the last tight spots. Success!!
(Thumbs up for a job well done!)

(The final hole. )

(My dear, sweet, strong, tired, loving, supportive husband and the oldest.)

After finishing, my husband ran to hit two buckets of balls at the driving range, but his upper body was so tired, he didn't do the best he could. I'm sifting through the dirt to try and keep the composite/concrete out of the hole . . . just in case I decide to put a tree there next year.

What is the next project? The future strawberry patch.

1 comment:

amberella said...

WTG Ryan. I am impressed! Did you measure the depth of the hole when you were finished?