Saturday, March 6, 2010

My thought patterns and a funny moment

I taught preschool this last week and our letter was P. I had all sorts of ideas, but ended up using Puppet on Tuesday and Picnic and Painting on Thursday. The puppets we made were really cute and we watched a little of the 1972 Muppet's Frog Prince to show how puppets actually work. Then, because I had been having home schooling discussions with a friend in the ward who started homeschooling this week, I decided to try and integrate some traditional cultural pieces, so I introduced the children to Georges Seurat and pontillism through Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grand Jette.

Now, whenever I think of Seurat, I remember watching (and re-watching) the Andrew Lloyd Webber video with my best friends from high school (hi, Betsy and Laney). Somehow, as I was searching for this song, I was convinced that it was from Sunday in the Park with George. I was wrong: Sunday in the Park with George is by Steven Soundheim and this song is from Surrender, aka. Song and Dance by Webber. But, I always think of the song as coming from Sunday in the Park with George.

Anyway, the children did wonderfully with dot painting. The pictures turned out beautifully.

But after all this happened we were reading stories by the bay window, when the girl in our preschool screamed. An Asian beetle had landed on her. (Don't get me started on stories about Asian beetles and broken vacuum cleaners. I would forget what story I was telling here and I've already digressed a lot.) The beetle was flung to the floor where it seemed that he had died of fright. Then a boy (not my sons) picked up the beetle with a cardboard advertisement. He carried it to the window seat.

"You can tell it's dead because its legs are gone."

He started talking to the dead bug and touching it. Then the bug, which had only been stunned, turned over and crawled off the paper.

"It's alive," cried the boy. "I brought the ladybug back to life."

For the next few minutes he kept talking about how he had made the ladybug come back to life. I couldn't help but think that it might be a little interesting discussing resurrection with him around Easter if he remembers his version of this little incident.

1 comment:

Danielle Strong said...

haha thanks for the laugh. i can just imagine.