Friday, October 30, 2009

The Olympics was different . . .


When the Olympics came to Salt Lake City in 2002, I was lucky enough to be given tickets to one of the hockey games--Switzerland v. who-knows. It was my first hockey experience. So I was a little surprised when the family went to the local hockey game last week and saw hockey culture at its finest.

Now, I hadn't known how central fighting was to the entire game of hockey. I knew it was a physical, I'm-going-to-knock-you-on-your-keister sport, but when the first fight started and the two players stood there decking each other and the referees didn't do anything I was surprised. I was more surprised when the audience, including women and children, stood up encouraging the fight to continue.

We had earned enough tickets for the family through the summer reading program at the library. The oldest didn't like the loud music (it was rather loud) and the youngest was ready to go after eating his ice cream. We ended up leaving near the start of the second period (right as our team scored their second goal.) But it was a fun, culturally interesting experience.

No comments: